Beyond the Centerline is a competition organized by New York real-estate company Fisher Brothers that tasks the entrants to come up with innovative ways to transform the congested boulevard along New York's Park Avenue into a hive of activity. Architects and designers have come up with a wide range of plans and ideas for the contest including:
• An underground rock-climbing wall
• A huge cascading waterfall
• A route for kayaking commuters.
• An aquarium, elevated walkways
• An elevated basketball court and a yoga studio topped with an undulating grass roof.
• An ice rink for skating or playing hockey
• A waterfall that flows down the massive mountain-shaped structure
• A made-up forest offering a habitat for wildlife
• A subterranean level, below the streets featuring shops and cafes
• A subterranean level, below the streets to create multiple levels for food markets, theatres, sports studio and a bouldering wall.
• A nine-meter -tall field of stalks and a green wall
Among the 150 entries 17 has been shortlisted.